Friday 19 April 2013

Saturday Spotlight - Red Kuri or potimaron squash

I managed to grow quite a few squash/pumpkin this year in a 1.5m x 2m bed that also housed my beans and corn. I had 3 squash plants placed throughout the bed. I grew Australian Butter and Red Kuri, Red Kuri is a smaller squash ranging from half a kilo up to two kilos, perfect for a small household like mine.
My two plants grew and grew and set fruit like mad, I forgot to count but there was over 17 of these little guys. So far I have only roasted them but gosh they were good. No stringy fibres, the flesh is sweet and savoury- my friend who came over for a roast dinner said it tasted like amazing Pumpkin soup. 
Here are the vines in full swing - you can see and Australian butter in the front but there is a Red Kuri tucked away in there.
And cut open - beautiful bright orange flesh, yum yum. I highly recommend giving this variety a go. It set fruit 2 months after it was sown and tasted great even when I picked the too early. It even resisted the powdery mildew that took everything else out in late January.

7 comments:

  1. I'll have to remember red kuri. I have never had any luck with pumpkin but I am determined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really easy to grow pumpkin - I won't have to buy pumpkin for a while now. Really low maintenance too.

      Delete
  2. Sold! I will definitely try them next year - the vines don't look too big, or is the photo deceptive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the vines didn't get too big, they filled the 1.5mx2m bed the spread out about a meter off the bed. I will be growing them again, they grew and set fruit so well and the Bee's thought they were in heaven.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of either of those types of squash. I wonder if they sell the seeds in the US? They certainly look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew these last year, so cute and nutty and great size for a single meal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grow Potimaron pumpkin vertically on a trellis. Works very well. Got the sseds from Diggers. Not wrapped in the taste though, not sweet enough for me

    ReplyDelete